Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 50 min
Ready In: About 1 hr
Prep gets faster once you make it over and over and over like me :)
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni -- I used DeBoles Corn Elbow Macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour -- I used Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Flour
- 1 quart warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 pound cubed ham (optional)
- 5 ounces cubed Cheddar cheese
- 5 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 5 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cubed
- paprika to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour to make a roux. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, then whisk in warm milk a little at a time to make a white sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer. Mix in salt and pepper, and stir frequently until sauce thickens.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cheddar, mozzarella, jack and ham. Combine pasta with sauce and stir well. Pour into baking dish. Use paprika to make a decorative pattern on top. Bake 45 to 60 minutes, or until top is the desired crispiness. Let rest 20 minutes before serving.