So, a few weeks ago I made apple dumplings. SOOOO good! But, while I was looking around on Pinterest I found the idea for these ice cream apple bowls. These beat the pants off the apple dumplings! Favorite fall desert EVER! And, FYI the caramel recipe is SUPER easy! Here's the recipe:
For the apples:
4 Apples (We used Gala)
1 TBS Cinnamon
1 TBS Sugar
Vanilla Ice Cream -- make sure it's safe of course :)
For the caramel sauce:
1 Cup Sugar
6 TBS Butter
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
Directions for the apples:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Hollow out the apples into little bowls. We used a teaspoon but a melon scooper would work wonderfully! All you have to do is cut the tops off and hollow them out (I personally like mine pretty hollowed with about a 1/4 inch of apple all the way around)
2. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Then coat the insides and top edges of the apples with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
3. Bake the apples in the oven on a cookie sheet for 20 minutes. Let cool enough to just be warm -- not super hot to the point that your ice cream is liquid.
4. Scoop icecream into your yummy apples and pour caramel sauce over top. ENJOY!!!
Directions for the caramel:
1. Heat a 2 quart or 3 quart saucepan over medium high heat and add sugar and water.
2. Stir vigorously until it comes to a boil. When it boils, stop stirring. You can swirl the pan from now on if needed.
3. Let sugar and water boil until all the sugar granuales are gone and the mixture is an amber color.
4. Whisk in butter until it melts (the mixture will foam up -- be careful)
5. When the butter is melted, remove from heat and add cream. Whisk in cream until you have a smooth consistency. Then, poor into a mason jar and let cool.
Refrigerate for up to two weeks.